The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) is seeking an experienced and forward thinking Communications Director to lead its efforts to amplify the importance of America’s engagement in the world and the effectiveness of U.S. international affairs programs. This senior-level position will lead a talented team to advance our organization’s agenda, increase the USGLC’s visibility inside and outside the beltway, and expand our constituency through active media outreach, sophisticated social media strategies, and proactive opinion leader communications. The Director will work closely with and support the efforts of the government relations, policy, program, and field teams. The position will report to the Executive Director and reside in Washington, D.C.
The USGLC is seeking a strong and creative Communications Director with 8-10 years of communications, public relations, and/or advocacy experience, as well as a proven interest in international affairs and politics, and a clear track record of engaging and expanding a network of supporters through traditional and digital media. Strong public speaking, project management, organizational, writing, and interpersonal skills are also required. Advocacy organization, digital skills and/or Capitol Hill/federal government experience is a plus. Limited travel is expected.
- Communications Strategy. Serve as principal in designing the USGLC’s communications strategy to achieve organization’s goals and objectives. The strategy should include both traditional and digital media to engage, maintain, and grow our targeted grasstops audience and advance our message in the press.
- Digital Campaign Management. Oversee and develop creative multimedia content and campaigns for digital platforms including the USGLC’s website, blog, Twitter, and Facebook. Maximize social network tools and develop e-marketing plans for target audiences, and promote national and state campaigns and events.
- Media and Press Outreach. Engage and develop relationships with national and regional journalists and bloggers in both the foreign policy and political space. Generate press and attention on the USGLC’s agenda, issues, campaigns, and events. Pitch opportunities for USGLC leadership and high-profile national and state advisory council members. Serve as spokesperson and key liaison with press. Develop and execute plan to engage USGLC Advisory Committee members prior to their national press appearances.
- Message & Material Development. Work with senior staff and communications team to develop compelling, timely, and customized content, media messages, talking points, and materials for an array of audiences. Manage design and production of print and online materials, as well as visuals for events, Capitol Hill programs, and field efforts.
- Manage Communications Team. Manage six member communications team, web vendors, outside writers, and other communications vendors. Provide mentoring, coaching and guidance to staff. Actively participate as a member of the senior staff and contribute to organizational goals.
Competitive salary will be offered, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The USGLC also provides a package of benefits, including health and disability insurance, retirement plan, paid annual and sick leave, and federal holidays.
About the USGLC
The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition is a broad-based influential network of 400 businesses and NGOs; national security and foreign policy experts; and business, faith-based, academic and community leaders in all 50 states who support a smart power approach of elevating diplomacy and development alongside defense in order to build a better, safer world.
Please email cover letter and resume to Beth Boyd at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Communications Director” in the subject line. Short listed candidates will be contacted. No calls please.
We offer fall, spring, and summer internship opportunities in communications, government relations, national outreach, and policy. Applications for the fall internship will be accepted from May 26, 2014 – July 15, 2014.