Director of Communications
The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) is seeking an experienced and forward thinking Director of Communications to lead its efforts to amplify the importance of America’s global leadership and the effectiveness of U.S. international affairs programs. The USGLC works to educate and inspire support from the American public and policymakers for America’s civilian tools of development and diplomacy. The Director of Communications, a member of the senior management team, will lead a talented group to advance USGLC’s agenda, increase visibility in our nation’s Capital and around the country, and deepen the support for our issues through a variety of dynamic and sophisticated communications platforms. The position will report to the Executive Director and reside in Washington, D.C.
- Communications Strategy. Serve as lead in designing USGLC’s communications strategy to achieve the organization’s goals and objectives. The strategy should include creative and thought-provoking traditional and digital media to engage and grow our target audiences and advance our message in the press, political and public policy communities. Target audiences range from national public outreach, to highly specialized policy-making constituencies based in Washington. USGLC messaging must necessarily be compelling to actors across the entire political spectrum.
- Digital Campaign Management. Oversee and develop consistent and innovative multi-media content and campaigns for all digital platforms including the USGLC’s website, blog, Twitter, Facebook and other social media outlets. Maximize social networking tools and develop effective e-marketing plans to build and inform target audiences, as well as promote national and state campaigns and events.
- Media and Press Outreach. Actively develop relationships and engage with national and regional journalists and bloggers in both the foreign policy and political space. Generate earned media about USGLC’s agenda, issues, campaigns and events. Serve as USGLC spokesperson and primary liaison with press. Pitch, create, and take advantage of opportunities for USGLC national and high-profile state leaders and VIPs to serve as spokespeople in print, digital and broadcast press.
- Message & Material Development. Develop fresh, compelling, timely and customized content, media messages, talking points and materials for an array of audiences highlighting success stories and marketing material. Manage design and production of both print and online materials, ranging from digital content to live event platforms. Communications products must be both innovative and substantive, with the goal of breaking through a crowded communications environment to garner attention and persuade both broad audiences and busy policy-makers.
- Manage Communications Team.Manage a 6 member communications team, web vendors, outside writers, and other communications consultants as needed. Provide mentoring, coaching and guidance to staff. Actively participate as a member of the Senior Staff and contribute to organizational goals.
USGLC is seeking a strong and creative Director of Communications, with 7-10 years of communications, and/or public advocacy experience, as well as a proven interest in international and political affairs, and a clear track record of engaging and expanding a network of supporters through a combination of press and digital tools. Strong public speaking, project management, writing and interpersonal skills are required. Advocacy organization, digital skills and/or Capitol Hill/federal government experience is a plus. Limited travel is expected.
Competitive salary will be offered, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The USGLC also provides a package of benefits, including health and disability insurance, retirement plan, paid annual and sick leave and federal holidays.
The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition is a broad-based influential network of 400 businesses and NGOs; national security and foreign policy experts; and business, faith-based, academic and community leaders in all 50 states who support a smart power approach of elevating diplomacy and development alongside defense in order to build a better, safer world.
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please reference “Communications Director” in the email subject. Short listed candidates will be contacted. No calls please.
Digital Communications Manager
The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) is seeking an experienced, forward-thinking digital communications professional to develop and manage its web and digital platforms to amplify the importance of America’s engagement in the world and the effectiveness of U.S. international affairs programs. This individual will assist in advancing our organization’s agenda, increasing the USGLC’s message and visibility, and expanding our constituency through active engagement with our community.
The right candidate will have an excellent proven track record in digital and social media and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) background to engage the public in a variety of voices. This position will be a senior member of our communications team and will work across departments to create and produce content on deadline while ensuring accuracy and maintaining consistency in style. A successful candidate for this position is an accomplished digital media specialist. Experience with international affairs issues is a significant plus. The Communications Manager will report to the Deputy Director of Communications and reside in Washington, D.C.
- Website Management. Recommend, create and implement website strategies to amplify USGLC’s voice utilizing expert website skills.
- Deliver the best digital media user experience. Fluent in development and optimization of social media, SEO and digital communication techniques to deliver the best user experiences in the most technically efficient manner. Create social media content.
- Web analytics. Ability to interpret and analyze data and provide insight to maximize outreach.
- Create design templates for digital outreach. Design digital communication templates for email campaigns for targeted constituencies.
- Staff and vendor management. Work closely with the digital communications associate, external web developers and designers to manage and share day-to-day and long-term projects of USGLC’s digital communications.
- Contribute to the success of the communications team. Promote an environment of inclusiveness and share best practices with other stakeholders to create a best-in-class communications team.
- Minimum of five years’ proven experience in content development, design and management of websites, social media and other digital media communication platforms.
- Ability to think strategically, yet very comfortable with hands-on work.
- Strong collaboration skills; experience working with people from diverse backgrounds. A flexible team player who shares responsibility and credit alike.
- Excellent writing skills.
Competitive salary will be offered, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The USGLC also provides a package of benefits, including health and disability insurance, retirement plan, paid annual and sick leave, and federal holidays.
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Digital Communications Manager” in the subject line. Shortlist candidates will be contacted. No calls, please.
We offer fall, spring, and summer internship opportunities in communications, government relations, national outreach, and policy.