The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) is seeking an experienced and innovative Director of Communications to drive a forward-thinking communications agenda that underscores the importance of America’s global engagement. This senior position will assist in the organization’s primary mission to educate and inspire both the American public and Washington policymakers on the need to strengthen all of the tools in America’s foreign policy toolkit, especially the U.S. development, diplomatic, and global health toolkit.
The Director of Communications is a member of the USGLC senior management team and will lead a talented department to deepen support for our issues by maximizing a variety of dynamic communications platforms. The position reports to the Executive Director and is based in Washington, D.C.
To lead USGLC’s communications efforts, this public relations leader will have a minimum 10 years of experience and a proven interest in international and political affairs. The incumbent will possess a strong track record of engaging and expanding a network of supporters through a combination of traditional press and social media platforms tools. Strong public speaking, project management, writing and interpersonal skills are required. Experience within an advocacy organization and/or Capitol Hill/federal government are considered a plus. Limited travel is expected.
- Communications Strategy. The Communications Director will lead in designing and implementing an aggressive traditional and digital communications strategy. The Director will develop a results-driven agenda with messaging that is clear, creative, and inspirational. The strategy will be innovative and thought-provoking, working with a variety of platforms to engage and grow our target audiences. The strategy will engage diverse communities, including, but not limited to, the press, the political, and public policy sectors, along with our diverse and growing business, NGO, military, and faith membership. Key constituencies range from our growing network of state leaders to highly specialized policymakers inside the Beltway. To maximize impact, USGLC messaging must be compelling to actors across the entire political spectrum.
- Digital Campaign Management. The Director will develop and oversee a team that mobilizes consistent, creative, and visually-driven campaigns, as well as multimedia content for all our digital platforms including: the USGLC’s web sites, blog, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and email platforms. The position will maximize social networking tools and develop effective email marketing strategies to build and inform target audiences, as well as promote national and state campaigns and events.
- Media and Press Outreach. The Director will have relationships with the traditional Washington press corps, but also know how to engage regional journalists and bloggers in both the foreign policy and political space. The incumbent will pitch, create, and take advantage of opportunities for both USGLC leaders at the national level, and high-profile leaders from states around the country to serve as spokespeople in print, digital, and broadcast outlets.
- Message & Material Development. The Director will lead the creation of fresh, timely, and customized content. That content could include, but is not limited to, media messages, talking points and materials that are designed to influence both broad audiences and busy policymakers. This content will highlight success stories, and speak to important reforms that emphasize the effectiveness of the International Affairs Budget. The Director will have a strong visual eye for overseeing the design of both print and online materials that support our digital platforms and live events.
- Manage Communications Team. Manage a five person staff, outsourced website vendor, writers, designers and other communications consultants as needed. Provide mentoring, coaching, and guidance to staff. Actively participate as a member of the USGLC senior staff and contribute to organizational goals.
Please email cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please reference “Communications Director” in the subject line. Short listed candidates will be contacted. No calls please.
Competitive salary will be offered, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The USGLC also provides a package of benefits, including medical insurance at no cost to staff, disability insurance, paid parental leave, a retirement plan, a public transportation benefit, paid annual and sick leave and federal holidays and a number of other benefits.
ABOUT THE USGLC
The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition is a bipartisan, broad-based influential network of 500 businesses and NGOs; national security and foreign policy experts; and business, faith-based, academic and community leaders in all 50 states who support a smart power approach of elevating diplomacy and development alongside defense in order to build a better, safer world.