The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) is seeking a second Deputy Director of Government Relations to help lead a growing Government Relations Team responsible for USGLC’s engagement with Congress about the importance of America’s global leadership and strategic investments in development and diplomacy. The Deputy Director of Government Relations will be an experienced professional with the knowledge and connections to further enhance USGLC’s presence on Capitol Hill, build sustainable relationships with a diverse array of Congressional offices, and advance our mission.
The position will report to the Director of Government Relations, work closely with the other Deputy Director of Government Relations, and reside in Washington, D.C.
At USGLC, we are committed to a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion among staff, volunteers, partners, and programs.
- Help Execute USGLC’s Government Relations. Work with the Director and Deputy Director of Government Relations to development and implement strategies to deepen Congressional support for U.S. international affairs funding and programs. Activities include direct outreach to Members of Congress and Congressional staff through direct lobbying; building relationships with Congressional caucuses and associations such as the Congressional Progressive Caucus; planning and executing briefings, events, and advocacy days on Capitol Hill; convening and mobilizing national coalition partners; among others.
- Serve as Expert Resource and Communicator. Play a lead role in USGLC’s budget analysis – staying up to date on the latest developments throughout the federal budget and appropriations process to maximize USGLC’s influence. Prepare written and oral communications for USGLC’s leadership, membership, and Congressional offices.
- Represent USGLC. Effectively represent USGLC at public and private briefings, meetings, events, and community activities with Members of Congress, Congressional staff, and coalition members. Travel domestically on a limited basis to support USGLC’s national and state-based engagement with policymakers.
- Government Relations Team Management. Help oversee a six-person Government Relations Team and other government relations consultants, as needed. Track metrics and progress in meeting deliverables and objectives. Provide mentoring, coaching, and guidance to staff.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum 5-8 years of relevant experience working with Members of Congress and their staff, including in government service, policy, advocacy, or government relations.
- Extensive knowledge of Capitol Hill and Congressional processes and dynamics, including an understanding of the federal budget and appropriations process, foreign policy, and international development.
- Relationships with policymakers – including Congressional staff and relevant executive branch officials – and the ability to deepen and grow this network.
- Ability to think strategically and create and execute multi-faceted advocacy strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, an exceptional attention to detail, and ability to distill complex information into high-quality analytical written products.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, work under pressure in a team-based environment, and proactively anticipate and address department needs.
Please email cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please reference “Deputy Director of Government Relations” in the subject line. Short listed candidates will be contacted. No calls please.