- Trade supported 1,711,100 jobs in 2013, or 23% of total jobs.
- In 2013, 22,770 companies exported goods from Illinois. Small- and medium-sized enterprises with fewer than 500 employees made up 90% of total Illinois exporters in 2013.
- In 2013, 290,700 people in Illinois were employed by a liates of companies that are at least 50% foreign-owned.
Exports and Growth
- Illinois exported $63.4 billion in goods to foreign markets in 2015. Illinois's larget markets in 2015 were:
- Canada ($17.4 billion)
- Mexico ($9.1 billion)
- China ($4.9 billion)
- Germany ($3.1 billion)
- Australia ($2.6 billion)
- Agricultural exports are important to Illinois's' economy, totaling over $9.3 billion in 2014, according to the USDA.
- Since 2011, the U.S. Export-Import Bank has financed $4 billion in exports from 285 companies in 125 communities in Illinois.
- Since 1971, the Overseas Private Investment Corporation has invested $2.1 billion in Illinois companies for overseas investment.
Education and Research
- In 2013-2014, 10,384 Illinois students studied abroad.
- During 2015, 46,574 international students were enrolled in Illinois colleges and universities and contributed $1.4 billion to the Illinois economy.
- Since 1961, 8,606 Peace Corps volunteers from Illinois have served in dozens of countries overseas.