The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) is seeking an experienced Veterans Outreach Director to devise and implement national outreach efforts to the veteran community. The Director of Veterans Outreach will oversee with the Veterans Outreach Manager and work directly with the National Outreach Team to recruit, engage, and mobilize members of USGLC’s Veterans for Smart Power initiative in our efforts to support U.S. global engagement through civilian-led development and diplomacy programs.
Veterans for Smart Power (VSP) is a nationwide network of veterans of all ages, ranks, and branches who believe in the importance of America’s non-military tools. VSP gives veterans a voice in foreign policy by equipping them with the tools they need to educate and inspire the American public and policymakers on the importance of a “smart power” approach to national security.
- Educating and Engaging Veterans. The Director will be responsible for building a nationwide network of veterans to advance USGLC’s public policy agenda by organizing an active team of 50-100 veterans in each of USGLC’s 20-30 priority states and Washington, DC.
- Veteran’s Leadership Council. The Manager will be responsible for the management of USGLC’s national Veteran’s Leadership Council, a group of two-to-three military veteran leaders from each of our priority states that work with the USGLC’ s Outreach team to implement field activities. In addition, the Council includes approximately 15-20 veterans living in the D.C. area that are able and willing to participate in USGLC Washington-based activities.
- Expanding the Grassroots Online Community. The Veteran Outreach Director will identify opportunities to expand USGLC’s online network of 30,000 veterans across the country, and create a dynamic communications platform for engagement. Additionally, the Director will be responsible for identifying content and thematic opportunities to engage and expand our online community presence.
- Mobilizing Veteran Community. The Director will be responsible for mobilizing the veteran community to educate policymakers and the public about the importance of smart power. This includes logistics and planning of events, participating in in-district meetings, and potentially speaking at events, if necessary.
- Implement Effective Communications. The Director will be responsible for the implementation of a communications strategy to educate and engage the USGLC veteran’s community. This will include populating the Veterans for Smart Power website, communication with veterans and education events, and a knack for social media engagement. The Veterans Outreach Director will create a robust, content-filled, and action-driven schedule of e-communications to our nationwide Veterans for Smart Power
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy, international relations or another related field.
- Familiarity and demonstrated experience in an outreach role with the military/veteran community and/or military background.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in a political campaign, issue-advocacy setting, or veteran advocacy organization.
- Knowledge of international relations as well as a demonstrated ability to organize high-level individuals in advocacy efforts.
- Ability to proactively engage prominent leaders in the political, business, faith-based, military, academic, and civic communities.
- Outstanding public speaking, oral and written communication and networking skills.
- Ability to conduct and succinctly write research and memoranda for internal and external audiences.
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, fluid and flexible team environment.
- Frequent travel is required.
Please email cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please reference “Veterans Outreach Director” in the email subject. Short listed candidates will be contacted. No calls please.