The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition is seeking an experienced and innovative communications professional to serve as Senior Communications Manager. The Senior Manager will help lead a creative and talented communications team to advance our organization’s agenda, increase the USGLC’s visibility, and expand our constituency through active engagement with our community, our membership and the media.
The right candidate will have excellent communication skills, a broad media background, and a proven track record in producing convincing written materials in a variety of voices. This position on the Communications team will work across departments to produce content on deadline while ensuring accuracy and maintaining consistency in style. A successful candidate for this position is an accomplished writer with experience working on Capitol Hill, in non-profits, journalism, or related fields. Knowledge of international affairs is essential. The Senior Communications Manager will report to the Communications Director and reside in Washington, D.C.
- Develop communications strategy. Work with the Communications Director to develop and lead an aggressive traditional and digital communications strategy that reaches diverse constituencies including the press, political and public policy sectors and USGLC’s growing network across the country.
- Manage digital campaigns. Help produce, mobilize and oversee a portfolio of high priority campaigns, as well as multimedia content for USGLC digital and web platforms.
- Drive press outreach.Develop and implement media outreach efforts in select local markets and Washington, D.C. As needed, help coordinate rapid response communications plans.
- Create original messaging materials.Work with the communications team and USGLC senior management to generate compelling, timely and customized talking points and content for a variety of audiences in Washington, D.C. and across the United States.
- Write and edit external communications.Draft and edit media releases, media advisories, op-eds and blogs for theme-based and event-driven opportunities.
- Produce collateral materials.Draft and edit issue briefs, one-pagers, fact sheets, reports and USGLC publications.
- Oversee people & projects. Help the Communications Director to manage communications team projects and vendors.
- 7 years of experience in media or communications with a broad portfolio of work.
- Experience in writing, editing, and managing the distribution of content for a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability in creating quality materials in multiple formats under time pressure, and handle multiple projects and deadlines concurrently.
- Experience with data, media monitoring and list building tools; knowledge of Quorum, Meltwater, and/or Critical Mention a plus.
- Strong collaboration skills; experience working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- A flexible team player who shares responsibility and credit.
- Campaign or political experience is desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, international relations, political science or related field.
- Limited travel is expected.
Please email cover letter, resume and three writing samples to [email protected]. Please reference “Senior Communications Manager” in the subject line. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please.
Competitive salary will be offered, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The USGLC also provides a package of benefits, including medical insurance at no cost to staff, disability insurance, paid parental leave, a retirement plan, a public transportation benefit, paid annual and sick leave and federal holidays and a number of other benefits.
ABOUT THE USGLC
The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) is a broad-based influential network of 500 businesses and NGOs; national security and foreign policy experts; and business, faith-based, academic and community leaders in all 50 states who support a smart power approach of elevating diplomacy and development alongside defense in order to build a better, safer world.