The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) is seeking an enthusiastic, detail-oriented professional for the position of Government Relations Assistant. The Government Relations Assistant will join a growing, creative, and high-performing team responsible for USGLC’s outreach to Capitol Hill on the importance of U.S. global leadership and a strong and effective International Affairs Budget.
The position reports to the Government Relations Director and is based in Washington, DC.
At USGLC, we are committed to a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion among staff, volunteers, partners, and programs.
Advocacy and Engagement with Congress. Work with Government Relations teammates to expand and strengthen Congressional support for the International Affairs Budget and relevant development and diplomacy legislation. Activities include:
- Developing and maintaining credible relationships with Capitol Hill staff to educate and inform them on current events in the foreign policy space and the importance of America’s development and diplomacy programs.
- Drafting, sending, and tracking invitations to Members of Congress and Congressional staff for USGLC events and meetings.
- Monitoring Congressional hearings and events.
- Preparing written materials for both internal and external audiences, including but not limited to talking points, hearing questions, email blasts, and news briefs.
- Assisting with preparation and execution of in-person and virtual lobby days and events on Capitol Hill.
Administrative Support. Manage administrative processes for the Government Relations team, including but not limited to:
- Drafting agendas, taking notes, and compiling weekly summaries of internal events and meetings.
- Maintaining databases, spreadsheets, and calendars for Government Relations activities and events.
Research and Analysis. Collect, track, and analyze a range of information to inform the Government Relations team’s work including but not limited to:
- Members of Congress, their policy positions, and relevant policy initiatives.
- Relevant legislation pertaining to development, diplomacy, and foreign policy.
- Various international affairs and foreign policy topics, as needed.
Other Duties as Needed. Take on a range of activities, as needed and on a case-by-case basis, to assist Government Relations team colleagues in a dynamic and fast-moving environment.
▪ Bachelor’s degree in public policy, government relations, foreign policy, international relations or a similar subject or commensurate experience.
▪ Basic knowledge of Capitol Hill and Congressional or campaign experience is a plus.
▪ Strong legislative research, writing, and communication skills.
▪ Keen attention to detail and accuracy in a fast-moving and exciting political and policy environment.
▪ Able to meet deadlines and prioritize multiple projects at once, handling tasks expeditiously and proactively.
▪ Experience with Quorum, Leadership Directories, CQ, and Microsoft Office Suite products.
Please email resume, cover letter and two writing samples to [email protected] Please reference “Government Relations Assistant” in the subject line. Short listed candidates will be contacted. No calls please.