The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) is seeking an experienced Director of Military Outreach to devise and implement national outreach efforts to the veteran community and steward USGLC’s National Security Advisory Council of 300 retired flag officers. The Director of Military Outreach will oversee the Veterans Outreach team and work directly with the National Outreach Team to recruit, engage, and mobilize members of USGLC’s Veterans for Smart Power initiative in our efforts to support U.S. global engagement through civilian-led development and diplomacy programs. The position reports to the Executive Director and is based in Washington, D.C.
At USGLC, we are committed to a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion among staff, volunteers, partners, and programs.
- Steward National Security Advisory Council (NSAC). Lead and grow impact of USGLC’s NSAC of retired senior military leaders who advocate for diplomacy and development. Deepen connections with USGLC and identify further areas of collaboration.
- Engage NSAC. Deepen integration of NSAC leaders in our communication, educational activities, policy formation, and events in Washington DC and across the country.
- Elevate NSAC. Explore new issue areas, communications and educational platforms, and venues to further elevate the voices of these unique validators for America’s civilian international programs.
- Educate and Engage Veterans. The Director will be responsible for continuing to build a nationwide network of veterans to advance USGLC’s public policy agenda by organizing an active team of 50-100 veterans in each of USGLC’s 20-30 priority states and Washington, DC.
- Veteran’s Leadership Council. The Military Outreach Director will be responsible for the management of USGLC’s national Veteran’s Leadership Council, a group of two-to-three military veteran leaders from each of our priority states that work with the USGLC’s Outreach team to implement field activities. In addition, the Council includes approximately 15-20 veterans living in the D.C. area that are able and willing to participate in USGLC Washington-based activities.
- Expanding the Grassroots Online Community. The Military Outreach Director will identify opportunities to expand USGLC’s online network of 30,000 veterans across the country and create a dynamic communications platform for engagement. Additionally, the Director will be responsible for identifying content and thematic opportunities to engage and expand our online community presence.
- Mobilize Veteran Community. The Director will be responsible for mobilizing the veteran community to educate policymakers and the public about the importance of smart power. This includes logistics and planning of events, with the support of the Program and Events Team, participating in in-district meetings, and speaking at events, if necessary.
- Implement Effective Communications. The Director will be responsible for the implementation of a communications strategy to educate and engage the USGLC veterans community. This will include managing the Veterans for Smart Power website, communication with veterans and education events, and a knack for social media engagement. The Veterans Outreach Director will create a robust, content-filled, and action-driven schedule of e-communications to our nationwide Veterans for Smart Power.
- A former commissioned officer of the US military with a distinguished career who is currently active in the military community.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy, international relations or another related field. Familiarity and demonstrated experience in an outreach role with the military/veteran community and/or military background.
- Outstanding public speaking, oral and written communication and networking skills.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in a political campaign, issue-advocacy setting, or veteran advocacy organization.
- Knowledge of international relations as well as a demonstrated ability to organize high-level individuals in advocacy efforts.
- Ability to proactively engage prominent leaders in the political, business, faith-based, military, academic, and civic communities.
- Ability to conduct and succinctly write research and memoranda for internal and external audiences.
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, fluid and flexible team environment.
- Frequent travel is required.
The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) is a broad-based influential network of 500 businesses and NGOs; national security and foreign policy experts; and business, faith-based, academic and community leaders in all 50 states who support a civilian-led approach of elevating diplomacy and development alongside defense in order to build a better, safer world. USGLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please email cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please reference “Military Outreach Director” in the email subject. Short listed candidates will be contacted. No calls please.