The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) is seeking an experienced professional for the position of Deputy Director of Government Relations. The Deputy Director of Government Relations will help lead a talented and high-performing team responsible for USGLC’s outreach to Congress and relevant agencies in the Executive Branch on the importance of America’s global leadership and the effectiveness of U.S. international affairs programs. The position will report to the Director of Government Relations and is based in Washington, DC once the organization returns from the remote work environment.
At USGLC, we are committed to a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion among staff, volunteers, partners, and programs.
- Help Execute USGLC’s Government Relations. Work with the Executive Director and Director of Government Relations to develop and implement USGLC’s advocacy strategy for engaging bipartisan policymakers in Congress and the Administration around the need for a strong and effective International Affairs Budget as well as smart policies that advance transparent, accountable, and results-driven development and diplomacy programs. Advocacy and engagement strategies include direct lobbying, Capitol Hill events and lobby days, in-district events and meetings, and national coalition mobilizations.
- Oversee Execution of Congressional Events. Oversee the execution of USGLC’s Congressional events – including organizing and implementing Capitol Hill events, briefings, and lobby days. Assist in planning and preparations for Washington, DC-based events involving Members of Congress.
- Represent USGLC. Serve as one of USGLC’s primary representatives on Capitol Hill, responsible for building strong and extensive relationships with bipartisan Members of Congress and Congressional staff. Represent USGLC at public and private events in Washington, DC and around the country. Help lead and facilitate regular collaboration with USGLC member organizations, including through email updates, conference calls, strategy meetings, and events.
- Serve as Expert Resource and Communicator. Track and analyze the International Affairs Budget throughout the federal budget and appropriations process and prepare written and oral updates and analysis for USGLC membership, the Board of Directors, and Capitol Hill. Forms of communication include budget updates and analyses, fact sheets, e-letters, and “Rapid Response” and “Action Alerts.”
- Support USGLC’s Outreach Team. Provide strategic support and direction to national outreach colleagues, especially for congressional engagement across the country. Travel domestically on a limited basis (when appropriate, based on health and safety guidelines) to support large (500-person), medium (100-200 person) and small (50-person) events with Members of Congress, as well as lead small in-district meetings.
- In-depth knowledge of Capitol Hill, including an understanding of the federal budget and appropriations process.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in government relations, foreign policy, international relations, global development or a similar area.
- Ability to think strategically and create and execute multi-faceted advocacy strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong public speaking skills and ability to create and deliver presentations before high-profile audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and work under pressure in a team-based environment.
- Congressional legislative or committee experience is strongly preferred.
- Limited travel is expected (when appropriate, based on health and safety guidelines).
Please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please reference “Deputy Director of Government Relations” in the subject line. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please.