- Trade supported 579,300 jobs in 2013, or 23% of total jobs.
- In 2013, 5,832 companies exported goods from South Carolina. Small- and medium-sized enterprises with fewer than 500 employees made up 85% of total South Carolina exporters in 2013.
- In 2013, 127,300 people in South Carolina were employed by a liates of companies that are at least 50% foreign-owned.
Exports and Growth
- South Carolina exported $30.9 billion in goods to foreign markets in 2015. South Carolina's larget markets in 2015 were:
- China ($4.4 billion)
- Germany ($3.9 billion)
- Canada ($3.7 billion)
- United Kingdom ($2.8 billion)
- Mexico ($2.4 billion)
- Agricultural exports are important to South Carolina's' economy, totaling over $920 million in 2014, according to the USDA.
- Since 2011, the U.S. Export-Import Bank has financed $4 billion in exports from 58 companies in 37 communities in South Carolina.
- Since 1971, the Overseas Private Investment Corporation has invested $31.4 million in South Carolina companies for overseas investment.
Education and Research
- In 2013-2014, 4,737 South Carolina students studied abroad.
- During 2015, 5,895 international students were enrolled in South Carolina colleges and universities and contributed $157 million to the South Carolina economy.
- Since 1961, 1,570 Peace Corps volunteers from South Carolina have served in dozens of countries overseas.