- Trade supported 136,500 jobs in 2013, or 23% of total jobs.
- In 2013, 1,790 companies exported goods from Rhode Island. Small- and medium-sized enterprises with fewer than 500 employees made up 88% of total Rhode Island exporters in 2013.
- In 2013, 28,500 people in Rhode Island were employed by affiliates of companies that are at least 50% foreign-owned.
Exports and Growth
- Rhode Island exported $2.1 billion in goods to foreign markets in 2015. Rhode Island's larget markets in 2015 were:
- Canada ($522 million)
- Mexico ($181 million)
- Turkey ($132 million)
- China ($130 million)
- Germany ($108 million)
- Agricultural exports are important to Rhode Island's' economy, totaling over $36 million in 2014, according to the USDA.
- Since 2011, the U.S. Export-Import Bank has financed $99 million in exports from 16 companies in 12 communities in Rhode Island.
- Since 1971, the Overseas Private Investment Corporation has invested $9.7 million in Rhode Island companies for overseas investment.
Education and Research
- In 2013-2014, 3,075 Rhode Island students studied abroad.
- During 2015, 5,872 international students were enrolled in Rhode Island colleges and universities and contributed $228 million to the Rhode Island economy.
- Since 1961, 1,028 Peace Corps volunteers from Rhode Island have served in dozens of countries overseas.