- Trade supported 539,300 jobs in 2013, or 22% of total jobs.
- In 2013, 4,420 companies exported goods from Kentucky. Small- and medium-sized enterprises with fewer than 500 employees made up 79% of total Kentucky exporters in 2013.
- In 2013, 100,700 people in Kentucky were employed by affiliates of companies that are at least 50% foreign-owned.
Exports and Growth
- Kentucky exported $28.1 billion in goods to foreign markets in 2015. Kentucky's larget markets in 2015 were:
- Canada ($7.2 billion)
- United Kingdom ($2.6 billion)
- Mexico ($2.2 billion)
- China ($1.9 billion)
- France ($1.8 billion)
- Agricultural exports are important to Kentucky's' economy, totaling over $2.5 billion in 2014, according to the USDA.
- Since 2011, the U.S. Export-Import Bank has financed $395 million in exports from 40 companies in 21 communities in Kentucky.
- Since 1971, the Overseas Private Investment Corporation has invested $115 million in Kentucky companies for overseas investment.
Education and Research
- In 2013-2014, 4,427 Kentucky students studied abroad.
- During 2015, 8,104 international students were enrolled in Kentucky colleges and universities and contributed $213 million to the Kentucky economy.
- Since 1961, 1,557 Peace Corps volunteers from Kentucky have served in dozens of countries overseas.